Re: Removal of type-ahead find

Andreas Nilsson <lists andreasn se> writes:

> On 08/02/2012 03:34 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>
>> For this reason, to remove the type-ahead find facility without
>> providing a replacement (hopefully superior) mechanism to fill the
>> need for easy movement while browsing would be a significant regression
>> in functionality. I'll have to think a bit about what such a mechanism
>> would look like, but this is something that should be seriously
>> considered before moving forward with removal of the existing solution.
> As far as I can understand from the blog post (I unfortunately don't
> have a recent enough jhbuild) the search will now act upon either on the
> current folder or globally as seen in the screenshot [1] and should be
> quickly accessed ctrl+f.
> 1.
> http://blogs.gnome.org/mccann/files/2012/08/Screenshot-from-2012-08-01-19_19_14.png
>
> For your particular use case, it sounds like the new functionality will
> cover that (and actually improve it), but I'm sure there are details
> that needs to be worked out.

To be clear, for my use-case it is important to understand that files
not matching my criteria should not be hidden from view (as is usual
in search). I simply want a want to efficiently move around the view,
all files included. For instance, if I want to take a look at my 100nM
dataset, I want to be able to quickly move to "100nM.dat" and still
easily see the neighboring "150nM.dat", "200nM.dat", and "250nM.dat"
files.

This is why I say that my "browsing" usecase differs substantially from
"search". While in "search" the user wants to isolate a group of files, in
"browsing" you simply seek to locate a group of files in a region of the
filename space.

Cheers,

- Ben