Re: Dealing with the trash

On Thu, 06 May 2010 17:20:33 +0100 Allan Day wrote:

>  * Someone wants to restore something that they just deleted.
>  * Someone wants to restore something that they deleted a while ago.
>
> In the first case, a Date Deleted column is entirely sufficient.

Well, I find myself using that view all the time when looking for
something I deleted today or yesterday, in a trash that hasn't been
emptied for a year and is bursting. I find clicking on "today" much
easier and faster than to actually have to locate, read, and mentally
parse "Do 06 May 2010 14:12:52 CEST" in a timestamp column in a list of
thousands of elements.

> The interface you've suggested [1] adds a lot of complexity. We should
> try and use the parts of the interface that are already there, rather
> than piling on new stuff.

Actually, it removes many UI elements and thus visual clutter, because
it limits what the list view displays. Sure, it adds a few text strings
with simple words as "today", "yesterday", "x days ago", but at the
same time it lets you get rid of thousands of list entries, each one
with multiple complicated columns.

But maybe that's just me. I am totally fine with my external python
script solution that gives me that display. It doesn't have to go into
Nautilus if my use patterns are a minority oppinion. Thanks for
commenting, anyways.

Holger