Re: Behaviour of "Desktop" bookmark when 'desktop_is_home_dir' == True

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 12:34 +0100, Sense Hofstede wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sending this mail because of a bug report[1] at Launchpad
> complaining
> that when '/apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir' is set to
> True
> the "Desktop" bookmark in the Places sidebar still exists and uses the
> desktop icon.
>
> The bookmark does refer to the home directory, complying to the GConf
> key
> and the ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs configuration file. However, the
> reporter of
> said bug report feels that the fact that the desktop icon is still
> used is
> confusing and wrong, especially considering that Thunar does remove
> the
> "Desktop" bookmark from its sidebar[2] when the home directory is set
> to be
> the desktop as well.
>
> What do you think of this issue? Is it a valid concern, or does it
> report desired
> behaviour?
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/488822
> [2] http://launchpadlibrarian.net/37091661/thunar%20left%20panel.png

I would say that the current behaviour is wrong, and that not showing
the desktop icon if desktop_is_home_dir is true is the right thing to
do. That said, this is obviously not the top priority atm, so while we
accept patches to fix it it is not likely to happen otherwise.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a fiendish neurotic assassin with a winning smile and a way with the
ladies. She's a cosmopolitan wisecracking femme fatale with a song in her
heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!