Re: Configurable desktop items for sysadmins

I prefer them on the desktop because they're bigger, and for most of
my users at least one of these is true: (1) they don't see very well,
or (2) the concept of “panel” is very unfamiliar.

Since the audience is very non-technical, metaphors need to conform to
real-life better: important things are big and separated. Accessing
all the important (for them) functions of a computer through a few
tiny icons near a corner is not intuitive. Choosing what they need
from a few big (scaled) icons on the desktop with descriptive names is
easier.

Having them undeletable (even fixed in position) I conjecture would be
useful because of the many cases I've encountered where users come to
me for help because they lost an app, or several. It was always just a
case of accidentally dragging them somewhere out of view, in a folder
or recycle bin. This is also a failure of the metaphor:
low-on-computer-skills users don't expect that big concepts as a
browser should be as easy to move and loose like a file, just as you
can't usually misplace your TV...

However, one of your earlier comments is relevant: gnome-shell will
probably be easier to adapt for this kind of users.

-- Bogdan Butnaru