Files's common actions with one clic of mouse

Hello nautilus-list,

/**********************/
/***1. Action column***/
/**********************/

I have an idea to improve the efficiency of nautilus concerning some
common actions on files and folders.

The aim is to be able to execute those actions with only one click of
mouse.

The modification would be for the list-view in nautilus. It consists in
adding an 'Actions' column containing for each file or folder a list of
action represented by small buttons.

Here is a small mock up :
http://moissant.anthony.perso.neuf.fr/nautilus-action_colunm-00.png

Here is a list of common actions to perform in one click for some kind
of files :

• music files : play, add to playlist
• video files : play, add to playlist
• archives : extract here
• text documents : see the document, print
• images : see, modify
• folders with music and/or videos : play, add to playlist,
• folders : burn on CD or DVD, make an archive ?
• .iso : burn, mount
• all extensions : copy, cut, move to trash ? (i don't move my file so
often and i use keyboard shortcut so i wait the opinion of other
persons, but i think it could be a source of mistakes...)
•  other ideas are welcome :)

I think the best number of actions in this column is maximum 3.

This is a first idea, i want us to discuss about this and think about
other common actions that should be accessible with one click and for
what kind of files.

/******************/
/***2. Selection***/
/******************/

Then we could use this Action column to add an action concerning every
files and folders :

• all extensions and folders : select with check box

If there is a check box in the actions column to select/unselect any
file or folder, it becomes more easy to select many files.

The check boxes could be in the actions column or into a separate one.
There could be for example first the selection column, after the name
column, the actions column and the other.

|check | name          | actions                          | size

   x      foo.txt        edit  print                         3 Ko
          bar.txt        edit  print                         3 Ko
   x      song1.ogg      play   add_playlist                 3 Mo
   x      song2.ogg      play   add_playlist                 3 Mo
          song3.ogg      play   add_playlist                 3 Ko
          my_folder      play   add_playlist                 3 Ko

Have you never tried to select many files of a folder maintaining 'Crtl'
and clicking on each file you want with the mouse but at the last one
your selection is unselected and only the last is selected (cause you
released the 'Ctrl' button at the wrong time) ?
With Ctrl+ mouse_left, Ctrl+a, even Ctrl-s+regexpr, Shit+mouse shortcut
you can select many file in a few time but how many users know those
shortcut ? I think many people use the keyboard only to write email,
chat and tip some text, but not for selection.

That why i think nautilus need a more easy to use way to select
files/folders.

Thank for your attention.

Anthony