Re: Making dviews scriptable.

Dale Wiles a écrit :

Do you know Crtl+s  ?
It allows you to select file from a regular expression, so perhaps i could help you.

I think the problem is that the search option in nautilus isn't enough powerfull, there is not enough options. In my opinion, it could be more usefull to rethink at new this feature in nautilus.

Anthony
Greetings,

I don't know the proper Nautilus terminology so please bear with me.

When you do a search in Nautilus, a new view?/widow? pops up with all the
files that match.  What's the term for this new pseudo-directory?  For the
sake of this email I'll call it a dview.

Can dviews be made from scripts/extensions?  If so, how complex are they
to handle?

The reason I'm asking is I think that being able to easily read/write
dviews would greatly increase the power of Nautilus.

For example, you could write a script that uses some arbitrary rules to
select files and then show just the files you want in a window.

  find /huge_directory [rules] -print | dview -create

After that the user could use Nautilus to delete, rename or whatever.

Another thing you could do is restrict the files in an existing
directory/dview.  Assume you've opened up a directory with a 1000 files in
it.  It would be nice to winnow down the files to just what you want to
see.  A Nautilus script like this would get the job done.

  #!/bin/bash

  re=`zenity --entry --text="Enter Filer Regexp:" \
	      --width=300 --title="Nautilus Filter"`

  dview -read "$NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI" | grep $re | dview -create

Any opinions on whether or not this plausable?

- Dale