How can the defaut behaviour for the spacebar in nautilus be changed ?

After browsing gconf, I couldn't find any way to tweak Nautilus' behaviour when the spacebar is pressed.
Is there anyway to change it ?
If not, where in the code should I look to create a modified version of Nautilus ?
Are there any plans to make this easily tweakable for users ?
I'm asking because work is going on to create an instant preview system for Nautilus (think: "Hit Spacebar, and you file is instantly displayed fullscreen, be it a psd, xcf,avi, pdf, you name it... file")

Thanks a lot for your time,
Pierre

pierre slamich gmail com