Re: question about Unmount/Eject on removable media menus

Thanks for the information.

Two questions (below).

On 05/17/2009 11:50 AM, David Zeuthen wrote:
On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 06:36 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote
[...]
Typical examples of devices that report removable media

   1. actual devices with removable media: optical drives, floppy drives,
      USB card readers, PCCard/Expresscard card readers, ZIP/Jaz drives

   2. virtually all USB sticks
Why would a USB stick report "ejectable"?  This is what I don't understand.
   3. consumer electronics like iPod and Kindle and MP3 players

So for the devices in categories 1. through 3., the user experience is
that if you press the Eject icon in Nautilus, the volume will disappear
from the volume sidebar and the device will report "Safe to disconnect
to the device" or, if capable of physically ejecting the media (optical
drives and Zip drives only), eject the media. If you don't like this,
you can right click on the icon and select "Unmount" instead.

Typical examples of devices that report not having removable media

  4. USB and Firewire hard disk enclosures
These seem somehow to be the same as a USB stick as far as unmount and eject go.
  5. SATA and SCSI disks (typically the built-in disk)

  6. Built-in SD card readers (the card itself is the device, not the
     media)

and for these you will only get the "Unmount" option. Pressing the eject
icon in the Nautilus sidebar will not make the volume disappear (but the
eject icon will indeed disappear to signify the device is not mounted).

The above is pretty much the experience we want; in particular it means
that consumer electronics like Kindle- and iPod-ish devices will Just
Work(tm) without the need for any quirks/whitelists.

       David

What about drives in removable bays? What got me into this entire area was trying to figure out how to best handle the removal of a bay that has a disk in it. This bay (Lenovo Ultrabay) is actually quite nice as it has a pre-eject signal, which can be used to get the device ready for physical removal. However, in Fedora (and most other distributions) nothing gets hooked to this signal. I was hoping that there would be something built-in that would do an "eject", i.e., unmount all partitions and turn off the disk (and maybe the bay as well).

peter