Re: maybe a gsoc project?

2009/3/30 b0unc3 <daniele maio gmail com>

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
Hej hej,

I know I'm picky, anyway: Can you please avoid top postings?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry :(

Am Montag, den 30.03.2009, 19:06 +0200 schrieb b0unc3:
> however, the way nautilus do FTP is exactly the contrary that I want
> to do, for this reason I talk about simplicity and quickness.
> For example the way nautilus uses to do a simple file upload on an FTP
> Server is far away (imho) from to be quick and maybe also simple.

You've posted two screenshot mockups of your ideas, but they don't
explain how and where I set up the FTP address after clicking "FTP
Server" or where I define my Flickr account.
And what if I have more than one FTP server? "Quick uploads" also
doesn't mean much to me as a context menu item. Maybe "Upload file(s) to
a server".

Uhm... I will try to explain what's on my mind a little bit more.
Take for example an FTP upload.
The steps I want to reproduce are :
             1) select the file(s) you want to upload
             2) select "quick uploads" (or better "Upload file(s) to a server...") and choose the service
             3) insert informations (address, directory where to save and eventually the new name of the file on the server) or get it from a previous saved bookmark
             4) click ok, and you are done.
It's a nice idea, and I've wanted to do something similar in GNOME Zeitgeist (see   http://live.gnome.org/GnomeZeitgeist for a long time.

I was leaning towards having a very obvious bottom-bar with different actions such as "Email to," "Print," "Upload to Flickr," etc. I think that if you put an item in the right click menu then most people will never discover it.

A few notes about implementing this in Nautilus:
1. If I understand your idea correctly, Conduit isn't really what you need. (Do you want to synchronize data or just to send it with one click?)

2. You should be able to reuse a lot of the code in Nautilus sendto. It already supports some of the things that you want to do.

3. Iirc, Dave Richards implemented an extremely basic Nautilus extension/script that handles some basic actions. It probably isn't at all what you need, but you might get some ideas from the GUI design that he uses.

-Natan