GSoC idea : Adding a Clutter view to Nautilus

Hi,

My name is Gaetan Morin, I am a student in a software engineering school (Ensimag, France), and I am very much interested in participating in this year's Gnome GSoC.

One idea I would love to apply for would be to add a Clutter view to Nautilus. Of course this would not be too fancy and bloated. It could be kept simple, in the Gnome spirit, maybe start by mimicking the icon view and then add some subtle animations and improvements.
I believe such a feature would be greatly beneficial to Gnome for the following reasons :
- it would make nautilus feel more modern and appealing to the end user, and this should not be underestimated, especially for such a core component of the desktop experience.
- it would provide a nice base for further file management paradigm experiments, e.g. for Gnome 3.0 and the ideas discussed here

I have already been toying with Clutter and GTK in C, so this part shouldn't be a problem. I am also passionate about user interfaces, and as such I am a great supporter of Gnome's "keep things simple" philosophy. (no, I am not talking about breaking everything and turning Gnome into a bloated mess such as Vista ;-)

Since this is not on your idea list, I wanted to know if there was any interest at all in this idea. If so do you think it is suitable for a GSoC project ?

If you think it is interesting would be glad to give more details.

Regards,
Gaetan

--
Gaëtan Morin - gaet morin gmail com