Re: Nautilus VCS extension for GSOC

Yes,  as Holger stated, Meld: http://meld.sourceforge.net/

> Things to add include:
> * Ability to force updates to particular files (with DBus call)
> * Ability to be notified of file operations (copy, delete, move)
> * Useful libnautilus-extension documentation
> * Update nautilus-python to include missing interfaces, new
> operations, and documentation
> * Write a GUI diff/merge program, including 3-way merge (new project)

There's really a couple of projects here:

  * Extending Nautilus to accommodate VCS extensions. Some of the
limitations are discussed on the previously linked page. I'm personally
mostly interested in the ability to get NautilusFileInfo's by path/uri,
menu separators, a update_file_infos function, the ability to query
individual Nautilus windows and possibly a more (py)inotify like way to
subscribe to events.

  * Writing a VCS client itself, specifically a TortoiseSVN clone (as a
Nautilus extension). We (NautilusSvn) have already done a lot of
groundwork here, the overall logic involved, a context menu, generic
dialogs, a log viewer, a very basic annotation viewer.

One of the hardest issues we're currently facing with NautilusSvn is
decent performance in status checking for large working copies. Some
other interesting features we're looking to provide are: a VCS
abstraction layer (and the integration into the extension), statistics
functionality (graphs etc.), an extension infrastructure on top of the
extension itself (extension points, a hook system that kind of stuff).[1]

  * Exposing the public Nautilus API over D-Bus (and extending Nautilus
where needed). Somebody else (Trevor Davenport) was interested in
working on implementing a D-Bus interface for Nautilus.[1]

  * Improving Meld.

You'll probably want to focus on writing a project description for one
of these :-)