Re: keyboard/focus annoyance after sorting in list view

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 08:43 +0100, John Keller wrote:
Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 21:35 +0100, florian wrote:

imo the up/down key binding should be changed so that pressing up moves the selection in the file list up... and not the selection of a different widget in the gui.
This is the general behaviour of the Gtk+ tree widget (and Gtk+ in
general). When you click on the list view header you change focus to the
header "widget". This means further key events go to that widget and not
the list itself. For these widgets the arrow keys control changing the
focus widget, so you can change focus to another widget.

Changing this is imho a bad idea, as it breaks keyboard navigation of
the GUI, so that you can't e.g. use it without a mouse. It also causes
problems for accessibility.
I often get annoyed at the behavior caused by the keyboard navigation guidelines, even though I understand very well why it's there. (Also being told that it's the way I "expect" [as in "people expect", in another thread recently here] things to be is a bit annoying, but that's a different subject ;-) ).

It certainly may not be the way everyone expects a computer to behave,
but its the way other gtk+ apps does. And as these other apps look the
same people generally expect them to act the same too. Even if they
consider it wrong. :)

Yeah, I know. And believe me, I'm for consistency. Just feel that sometimes people get so hung up on defending keyboard navigation/accessibility that they don't take into consideration the other cases. E.g. the opposite of ignoring accessibility or consistency to make some app "ultra efficient" to use.

So, consider my comment being about changing the nautilus behavior to be
other than other apps. I don't have anything per-se against changing
details of gtk+ behaviour that will affect all apps.

Sure, understood. Nothing personal, I just often see that kind of comment in GNOME world used as an closing argument instead of a starting point.

The way it's implemented makes it difficult for people who *don't* want to use the keyboard to navigate everything. Why is it that it's all or nothing? Even Apple provides a switch for this (basically, on/off - with "off" allowing only certain elements to be focused by keyboard).

Really? Is this a global switch? How is it decided which elements are
allowed to be focused?

Yes, it's global. Not sure how long it exists (OS X only? And since which version), but I ran into it recently.

It basically turns off keyboard nav (tab/arrow keys) between non-modifiable fields. So e.g. buttons in dialog boxes (Enter and Escape still confirm and cancel, and there are mneumonic-but-not-displayed shortcuts like Command-D for "Don't save changes" in a confirmation dialog or Command-D for "Desktop" in save dialog boxes). I'd have to check, but I believe it's still possible to to toggle with the keyboard between the file list and the spotlight search field on each Finder window.

On the other hand, the Mac never had the same "must have keyboard nav" ethic. That was IBM with CUI standards, made popular with Windows 3.x and even more with Windows 95, to my memory. The original Mac didn't have cursor keys (to "encourage" use of mouse), and I don't remember when Home/End PgUp/PgDown keys were added (to this day, they mean something different than for other platforms, and the arrow keys + sometimes modifier do their Windows/Linux function).

But maybe that's the GTK stack. There's also the application level. Forgive my ignorance if this already exists, but I think that at the very least Nautilus could give a keyboard shortcut that gives focus to the file list frame, no matter where the focus is elsewhere in the window. The way things are, it requires juggling the mouse and the keyboard (or counting keystrokes/monitoring the screen closely when using keyboard only).

This isn't a bad idea. Does any other app have this, and if so what
shortcut are they using?

I honestly don't know, it was just an idea off the top of my head. Of course, it'd be hard to replace the simplicity of Tab or an arrow key alone (since really the only other single-key options are Fx keys and those are frowned upon).

Currently, Ctrl-Tab seems to be used to jump to/navigate between the toolbar buttons in browser view (in list or icon view); and to/between the sort fields and the little path button in the corner of the folder view (in list view), or to/between the little path button and the main pane's contents (in icon view).

Hmm, internal consistency, anyone? ;-)

Not sure, is all that related to GTK or expected behavior? If not, maybe Ctrl-Tab could always jump to/switch between the main file list and the sidebar. I know that I've often seen that used in similar situations in GNOME (Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown to switch between tabs in a dialog box) or in Windows (often used to switch between tabs in an MDI, whereas GNOME usually Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown, e.g. Nautilus itself).

It sort of goes with the split view too, where that key could be used to
switch between views.

Yeah, that makes sense now that you mention it. If Ctrl-Tab were used per above, then it might make sense to have its navigation chain be the two panes in the split view plus the sidebar.

- John