Re: Nautilus File Notes

Mike Poirier wrote:
> Is there a method script or a class we can use to send text to the file
> Notes "Attributes"
>
> For example. I have bash script that downloads video files. I would like it
> to add the notes that comes on the websites and keep them together with the
> files.

Nautilus stores notes in XML files in  ~/.nautilus/metafiles. However
these metafiles are only loaded once when started and then cached
internally. That means you cannot edit the .metafiles and see the
changes propagate into Nautilus without restarting.

It seems the methods to modify the extension data (e.g.
nautilus_file_set_metadata) are not exposed to the outside world in any
way. Not even to Nautilus extensions. So you cannot call any methods do
attach this metadata.

I think your best bet is  instead to look into some kind of metadata
framework, to associate metadata with files outside of Nautilus. Look
into something like Tracker. Tracker already has several Nautilus
extensions (PropertyPageProvider, Sidebarextensions) that allow you to
view your stored metadata within Nautilus.

Also see Xesam.

Best regards,

Bruce

P.S.

Accidentally only replied to the original author.