Re: Console output form Nautilus?

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Jason Heeris <jason heeris gmail com> wrote:
> I'm developing an extension for Nautilus, and so I tend to rely on
> console output when something goes seriously wrong. I recently
> upgraded to 2.28.1 (under Debian Squeeze), and it seems I can no
> longer use my old trick of running "nautilus -q; nautilus
> --no-desktop" to run Nautilus and see messages in the console (despite
> the fact that I have Nautilus set to *not* draw the desktop). All that
> happens now is that it starts up as some sort of background process
> (or, in certain cases, starts up many, many instances until I have to
> use killall or log out... I'm not sure exactly how to reproduce that,
> though).
>
> Is there some way to get console messages from Nautilus? Or is there a
> log somewhere?

The log code is really busted, so that's disabled for now. The real
problem is that gnome-session likes to respawn nautilus after it goes
black for even just a moment, so you have to put a stop to that first.
The easiest way is just 'chmod -x /usr/bin/nautilus', and then kill
it. After that, gnome-session stops trying to respawn it and you can
run it directly from a terminal. The same problem makes it somewhat
harder to debug as well, but you can get around that by attaching gdb
to a running nautilus process (gdb --pid=`pidof nautilus`) and use
G_BREAKPOINT() instead of printf() debugging.

HTH,
-A. Walton