Console output form Nautilus?

I'm developing an extension for Nautilus, and so I tend to rely on
console output when something goes seriously wrong. I recently
upgraded to 2.28.1 (under Debian Squeeze), and it seems I can no
longer use my old trick of running "nautilus -q; nautilus
--no-desktop" to run Nautilus and see messages in the console (despite
the fact that I have Nautilus set to *not* draw the desktop). All that
happens now is that it starts up as some sort of background process
(or, in certain cases, starts up many, many instances until I have to
use killall or log out... I'm not sure exactly how to reproduce that,
though).

Is there some way to get console messages from Nautilus? Or is there a
log somewhere?

Thanks,
Jason