Desktop icon layout

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 00:58 +0100, Giacomo Bordiga wrote:
> This [1] is a mockup I made 1 year and half ago. I'm not sure if it
> can still be interesting/useful in the next gnome evolution. Still to
> me is a step forward to the current desktop icon management.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7449355 N06/2329133852/

This looks very tidy.  Even without having the icons categorized,
imposing a spacing that observes maximum width/height of an icon is the
way I'd prefer it to be.  I am not a Nautilus dev, so that's just my 2¢.

I submitted a patch some time ago that did a somewhat similar thing to
the Compact icon view in a browser window, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag10vtFiQs but it was modded down. :)

Zoran