Re: Problems linking to libgio?

I've encountered the very same issue on the same system (Ubuntu 9.04),
trying to build GNOME using jhbuild. After much research, I've finally
found the culprit, which has nothing to do with glib, as Alexander said:
it's dbus-glib's fault.

More precisely, you may see in your logs that the libtool command that
triggered the error includes -ldbus-glib just before the
wrong /usr/local/libg* references. And in
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/dbus-glib.pc, you'll see that it requires libglib and
libgobject, which are taken from the libdir specified in that file: the
system one (in /usr/lib). The solution I could find was to override my
system's dbus-glib by installing a jhbuild one, using 'jhbuild buildone
dbus-glib' with the required moduleset.

In my case, liboobs was also triggering the same problem, and I applied
the same solution. You may encounter variants of that bug, not always so
easy to work out, since the wrong libs are not systematically listed
right after the one that pulls them in.

Now, I don't know whose fault is it: the .pc file that should be written
differently, jhbuild failing to set a needed variable, or libtool
duplicating libs without checking in prefix? The present list is not
really the place to discuss that, though...

Anyway, I hope my answer can help you, and other people finding this
thread when searching for that error message.

Cheers