Re: [Patch] Proposal for Compact icon view: fill row to right margin

nautilus-list-bounces gnome org wrote on 25/04/09 18:03:
> It seems that with your patch applied the layout is resized more fluidly
> and the what seems to me uncomfortable white margin on the right edge is
> eliminated. I wouldn't agree with Alex that it feels busy, but as I
> stated before I've never really used this layout (neither in Nautilus
> nor any other applications). At this moment I'm leaning towards calling
> it an improvement.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlP1yriF084

With the patch, the leftmost and rightmost columns of icons are often
noticably closer to the edge of the window than they are to the other
columns of icons, which looks rather awkward.

> Personally I'm interested in seeing how other file managers (Finder in
> particular) handles this situation.

Neither the Finder nor (as far as I know) Windows Explorer have
dynamically-changing spacing between icons.

In the Finder, the Zoom button
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/XHIGWindows.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-BACEDHFG>
snaps each dimension of the window to just large enough to enclose all
the icons in the window (or to the maximum possible width/height for
that display, whichever is smaller). That way the left margin and right
margin end up identical, just as in this patch, but by resizing the
window rather than by moving all the icons.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/