Re: nautilus and gio apps

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Gravis <nautilus adaptivetime com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 00:51 +0200, Bruce van der Kooij wrote:
>> Gravis wrote:
>> > Other apps like GIMP can open this file just fine, so do I need to
>> > somehow register the application somehow with Nautilus?  What's the
>> > deal?
>> >

>> Have you looked into whether or not it is your program that is at fault?
>>   You can start Nautilus from the command line and any output your send
>> to stdout will be printed (nautilus -q && nautilus --no-desktop
>> sftp://example.com).
>>
>> For example, are you sure it handles spaces appropriately as Nautilus
>> will pass a path starting with "/home/$USER/.gvfs/sftp on example.com/"
>> for SFTP mounts nowadays.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Bruce
>
> Ok, after doing further investigation, I found that no arguments are
> being passed to my program.  i found this out by just making a dialog
> and displaying the value of argc, which was 1 (only the name of the
> binary executed is stored in argv).  This explains why my app wasnt
> showing, because it just outputs the usage details then quits when there
> are no arguments passed in.
>
> I had associated my program with the type of file (jpeg) which worked
> fine locally but it didnt show up in the list of programs that could be
> used to open the file.  Only programs like GIMP that use GIO/GVFS are
> listed which further leads me to believe that the application must be
> registered with nautilus somehow.
>
> So, is this ringing any bells?

You are not installing a .desktop file for your application to tell
Nautilus /how/ to run your application, or when to show your
application in menus, etc. Nautilus (actually, GIO's AppLaunch code)
could probably guess and just do "app-name filename", but it's often
not going to work, e.g. if your app needs flags to tell it that you're
opening a file ("app-name -f filename"). That's why we have the
Desktop Entry Spec, and that's why applications install
app-name.desktop files in $(datadir)/applications.

-A. Walton