Re: nautilus and gio apps

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 00:51 +0200, Bruce van der Kooij wrote:
> Gravis wrote:
> > Other apps like GIMP can open this file just fine, so do I need to
> > somehow register the application somehow with Nautilus?  What's the
> > deal?
> >

> Have you looked into whether or not it is your program that is at fault?
>   You can start Nautilus from the command line and any output your send
> to stdout will be printed (nautilus -q && nautilus --no-desktop
> sftp://example.com).
>
> For example, are you sure it handles spaces appropriately as Nautilus
> will pass a path starting with "/home/$USER/.gvfs/sftp on example.com/"
> for SFTP mounts nowadays.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bruce

Ok, after doing further investigation, I found that no arguments are
being passed to my program.  i found this out by just making a dialog
and displaying the value of argc, which was 1 (only the name of the
binary executed is stored in argv).  This explains why my app wasnt
showing, because it just outputs the usage details then quits when there
are no arguments passed in.

I had associated my program with the type of file (jpeg) which worked
fine locally but it didnt show up in the list of programs that could be
used to open the file.  Only programs like GIMP that use GIO/GVFS are
listed which further leads me to believe that the application must be
registered with nautilus somehow.

So, is this ringing any bells?

--
Gravis <nautilus adaptivetime com>