Re: Nautilus virtual single window for multiple backends

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 07:29 -0600, Sankar P wrote:
> Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 11:24 +0530, Sankar P wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have two gvfs backends installed in my machine, say "nds" and "smb".
> >> Now I am able to launch "nautilus smb://"  and "nautilus nds://" and get
> >> nautilus windows opened successfully.
> >>
> >> Is there a way by which I can open a single nautilus window which has
> >> "smb://" and "nds://" as the window contents, and upon clicking each of
> >> these icons, the individual backends should be loaded.
> >
> > There is no way to get this kind of union mount thing right now. I also
> > don't think its something that is useful to expose to users (plus it has
> > all the traditional issues that union mounts generally has).
> >
> > Why would you want to do something like this anyway? Care to describe
> > your usecase?
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> The use case is being able to get all the backends in a single window,
> so that the user can choose whichever he wants to see in detail.
> I believe the usecase is not so strong and such a feature may not be
> important.

The general idea is not very interesting. Its like saying you want to
view all the directories in the filesystem in one window so you can
choose which you want to see.

However, for the specific case of listing things on the network we do
have the network:// location which is a merger of various other
locations like the current smb workgroup, the local dns-sd domain, etc.