Re: maybe a gsoc project?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:13 PM, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 19:25 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Hej hej,
>
> I know I'm picky, anyway: Can you please avoid top postings?
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Am Montag, den 30.03.2009, 19:06 +0200 schrieb b0unc3:
> > however, the way nautilus do FTP is exactly the contrary that I want
> > to do, for this reason I talk about simplicity and quickness.
> > For example the way nautilus uses to do a simple file upload on an FTP
> > Server is far away (imho) from to be quick and maybe also simple.
>
> You've posted two screenshot mockups of your ideas, but they don't
> explain how and where I set up the FTP address after clicking "FTP
> Server" or where I define my Flickr account.
> And what if I have more than one FTP server? "Quick uploads" also
> doesn't mean much to me as a context menu item. Maybe "Upload file(s) to
> a server".
>

> > By now I'm deeply looking at Coundit, and on a first impression it
> > seems to be oriented in a too different (an more complex) way that I
> > need.
>
> Well, the other way round I can ask "How extensible is your
> proposal"? :)
> I just would like to avoid duplicating code that already exists and
> could be used, e.g. in Conduit...

Correct, there is already a nautilus extension that adds upload/export
functionality using Conduit.

It was not enabled by default in the last release, but if you install
conduit from SVN, or from our PPA you should see it.

I've builded Conduit from svn , I enabled the nautilus-extension but nothing appear on my nautilus so I still don't know what this extension exactly do.

However, I have made another mock-up.
I was thinking in merging step [2] into [1] by making it as a submenu of [1]. The [3] is the dialog where you can insert information (also metadata information) of the file(s) you are going to upload or you can load it from a previous save bookmark.
An other improve could be done in making some keybindings so , for example, the user select a file press Alt+F and the flickr dialog comes up.
That's basically all, I hope you get a more clearly idea.

Ciao,
Daniele

[1] http://picasaweb.google.com/daniele.maio/NautilusExtension#5319012064624824930
[2] http://picasaweb.google.com/daniele.maio/NautilusExtension#5319012073506650114