Re: Gloobus, Again

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 09:09 +0200, Jordi Hernández Puigdellívol wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I have some news about the project, and some questions...
> About what we discussed in the previous post, the coverflow like view
> can be a problem due pattents and integrating a 3D view into
> nautilus..
> well, the cover-flow like is just eyecandy.
> Anyway, the preview function is very nice, and very usable so I have
> rewritted from 0 the application.
>
> Now using GTK, gnome-ui to get the theme icons and thumnails for files
> that can't be previewed by gloobus, and gstreamer for playing both
> audio and video...
> I use cairo to draw a nice background..
> So what I would like to ask, if it is possible to add a space key
> binding to launch this preview and a toolbar button I would like to
> make it as part of nautilus as it can be. maybe adding a gconf-editor
> key could do the trick...
>
> What do you think, can you help me¿?

The plan for previews in nautilus (since some time) has been to use a
separate pane for it. I don't like the tooltips kind of apprach as it
generally gets in your way by accident a lot (if you make it auto-pop-up
on hover) or doesn't get discovered (if you need a key to show it).

The previous discussions on this had some mockups for the UI from Neil J
Patel. Here is a link about this. Unfortunately most of the discussion
was on irc, so its not documented.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2007-September/msg00057.html