Re: Moving useful stuff into the core toolkit (Was Re: Removing libgnome* from nautilus)

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 17:47 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> (adding gtk-devel-list to the Cc)
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 14:22 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I just branched nautilus because I want to work on a small project I
> > have. I want to remove all uses of libgnome, libgnomeui and all the
> > related libs from nautilus. These are not really important to nautilus
> > anymore, and are a large dependency that we mainly don't need.
> >
> > Hopefully this shouldn't be to much work. I'll start today with
> > commiting a removal of the last use of bonobo (we currently use it for
> > "unique application" functionallity).
>
> Cool. As a kinda related question what are your thoughts on moving some
> of the more useful GIO-related UI classes (NautilusOpenWithDialog for
> example) into GTK+? I can see stuff like that being useful in Evolution,
> Firefox, Epiphany etc.
>
> (There's of course the chicken+egg problem that GTK+ maintainers might
> say they want real users before committing to adding such API. Anyway,
> my personal view is that we should try getting more useful stuff into
> the toolkit. If you build they will come etc. etc. YMMV.)

All the code in nautilus depends on the nautilus core async i/o file
model, so its kinda hard to move anywhere without moving most of
nautilus. That model is also kind of strict and does not match what many
apps want to do, so I don't think its generally doable.