Re: Nautilus With Tiled Child Panes

Hello,

I was just thinking for my work habits on a computer, doing software development and otherwise, I'd find it very useful to be able to use the Nautilus program in an (pardon the (Microsoft?) lingo) MDI mode, ie with 2,4 or even 8 child panes (tiled). I frequently need to work with a handful of folders all at the same time to move files back+forth or reference various things and it would be nice to consolidate the windows I have open / to sort them by subject. This linux gedit program has the ability to take an existing tab when multiple documents are open and split that off into another application, I'd love to be able to split+merge nautilus windows in the same fashion as the work of the day requires...

I don't imagine these things are existing features, or necessarily very easy to implement, but for me it'd be very useful! And it's surely doable with a modest time investment. Let me know if the idea appeals to anyone.

Thanks,
Darin Hitchings

PS. I have some idea for sorting / masking files which are displayed as well if anyone's interested... But I'm sure you'll intuit almost everything I'd say.