File associations

Hi there,
I donnu if I'm right here but I hope so ;)
I've got some problems with GNOME mimetypes. Since my last distribution
upgrade (I upgraded Ubuntu Gutsy to Ubuntu Hardy [Beta, now using
stable]), almost all file associations are broken. For example, JPGs are
opened in Firefox, PDFs aren't opened anymore etc. The same problem
exists also with another distribution where I compiled GNOME myself.
I had hoped that it would be possible to reset the file-associations but
I found no way to do this. What I tried myself is:

 * deleting >/usr/share/mime/*< (on Ubuntu) and >~/.local/share/mime/*<
and then upgrading the mime database;
 * reconfiguring shared-mimetype-info with dpkg-reconfigure
 * removing gnome-mime-database with deleting all configuration files
and then reinstalling it

(After each step I restarted my machine)

None of these steps changed anything. I'm using Nautilus as file browser
(for that reason I chosed this mailing list) and for managing my desktop
icons.

So my question is: Is there a way to reset _all_ application - file
associations?

Thanks, regards,
    Dauerbaustelle