Re: Confused about nautilus thumbnails

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 12:21 +1100, Nyall wrote:
> Hmmm... see, I read through that fdo spec, and what I thought would
> happen is:
> - If the nautilus icon size <= 128, then create a 128 sized thumbnail in
> the .thumbnails/normal directory. Then resize it down to fit the icon
> size.
> - Else, if the nautilus icon size > 128, then create a 256 sized
> thumbnail, save it in the .thumbnails/large directory, and resize it up
> or down to fit the nautilus icon size.
>
> But flicking through the nautilus source code, i'm only seeing
> references to GNOME_THUMBNAIL_SIZE_NORMAL - so I guess nautilus never
> uses the .thumbnails/large 256 sized thumbnails?
>
> (I should also add, my thumbnailer works fine when nautilus icons are
> smaller than 128, it's only on larger sizes that I run into problems)

Yes, nautilus only ever uses the 128x128 thumbnails. For actual images
we use the file itself as the thumbnail whenever an icon is scaled
larger than 128 pixels (since nautilus 2.22). This does not work for
things that require a thumbnailer.

We could add support for 256x256 thumbnails, but I don't know how useful
this would be, icons of that size are rather unusual.