Re: The more mounts I add, the slower Nautilus becomes.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Christian Neumair <cneumair gnome org> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 16.06.2008, 09:33 +0200 schrieb Chris Fanning:
>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Christian Neumair
>> <cneumair gnome org> wrote:
>> mointpoints).
>
>> > A) Nautilus will try to list get the number of items in the mount
>> > point's root directory, even if you are not displaying it. This is a
>> > feature.
>> >
>> I am trying to imagine the benefits of examining ./shares/mount1 while
>> opening /home/user/directory, why is it a feature?
>> I've also noticed that any gnome app will provoke the same with the
>> Open Dialog.

Hi,

> I was not entirely clear. The directory "mount1" from your example is
> not listed, just "shares".

opps. sorry.
/home/user/shares/mount1
/home/user/shares/mount2
/home/user/shares/remote_server/mount3

> Listing "shares" already causes network traffic for all mounts. Just
> mount a bunch of shares, launch a network sniffer like wireshark and
> enter "ls" in the "shares" directory.

not so here. 'ls' isn't creating network traffic at the 'shares'
directory or at the 'remote_server' directory, but only once I
actually 'cd' into the mountpoint.

> I am not an expert though when it comes to the gory details of UNIX
> mounts. Maybe somebody out there knows when exactly network I/O will be
> caused. All of this probably also depends on the FS module you use.
>
> I can not give you any constructive suggestion, except to move the
> contents of ~/shares to ~/shares/smb, which will at least circumvent the
> directory listing of mount points.

I had tried that. it doesn't help.

>> > B) You are using FUSE, or kernel mounts. However, for optimal
>> > integration you should use GVFS mounts. Unfortunately, permanent
> mounts
>> > for remote shares are not yet available in GVFS (Christian Kellner
> is
>> > working on it, though), so this is not an option yet - unless you
> add a
>> > startup script that executes a set of gvfs-mount commands.
>> >
>> I haven't started using gfvs yet. But (please correct me if I'm
>> wrong), gvfs is going to let me access these shares like kde does,
>> "smb://server/share".
>
> Exactly. It also lets you access all your GVFS mounts under ~/.gvfs with
> convetional UNIX applications.
>
>> 99% of the documents on the samba servers are ODF. From experience
>> with KDE, at least until very recently, OpenOffice cannot open/save
>> files to a folder opened in this manner. It reports I/O errors. We
>> avoid this by mounting and umounting user shares on login/logout with
>> pam-scripts.
>
> Just FYI, OpenOffice will end up with GVFS support:
> http://blogs.linux.ie/caolan/2008/05/01/ooo-gio-integration/

that's good news.

>> Are you suggesting that this directory scanning will not happen if we
>> continue to mount at login but upgrade to gvfs?
>
> During the mount process, traffic will be carried out already. However,
> it would at least not slow down loading of local directories. As I
> pointed out: It is very unfortunate that we still do not have support
> for permanent remote mounts (i.e. "volumes") across sessions in GVFS,
> these would probably resolve your issues.

I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that this is happening to me.
To make matters worse, I blocked all traffic going out of the box to
the samba server and nautilus freezes up (as I suspected), desktop
included.

I installed pcmanfm just to see, and it doesn't have this problem/feature.
Is it possible that I'm the very first person that has mointpoints in
my home directory? Obviously not ;) What's going on here! Am I missing
something really basic?

Best regards,
Chris.