The more mounts I add, the slower Nautilus becomes.

Hi,

I'm new on the list. (hope this question hasn't been asked a thousand
times already)

I've got some samba shares mounted in my home directory.
/home/user/shares/mountpoint(s)
When I open Nautilus I've noticed that there is network activity
between my desktop and the samba server(s).
It happens all the time (not just when I'm opening the mointpoints).
Just simply opening Nautilus at my home directory creates network
traffic to all samba servers.

This makes Nautilus slow down. One of the samba servers is at a remote
site so traffic on the WAN is even slower.
The more mounts I add, the slower Nautilus becomes.

What can I do?

Thanks.
Chris.