"Open With" application list not sorted

I’m using the latest version of Ubuntu, v8.04 and Nautilus 2.22.3.

1.       When I right-click a file in Nautilus and select “Open With”, the list of applications is not sorted.  This is quite annoying as there is a long list of applications.  Is this by design or a bug?

2.       Also, when I start typing to search for an application in the list, it would be nice if my typing acted as a filter instead of just scrolling to the text.  E.g. currently if I type “spreadsheet” this yields nothing.  It would be nice if all other choices were eliminated and “OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet” was the only remaining choice.  I feel this would greatly expand the usability when trying to find something in a long list of applications.

Between the behavior of #1 and the not-implemented status of #2, it makes finding something to open with very difficult.

Best regards,

James Johnston