Re: templates patch ...

Dear Michael,

Am Montag, den 30.06.2008, 16:35 +0100 schrieb Michael Meeks:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 10:42 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > I'm worried that people end up with menus like these
>
> 	Sure - but empirically this has not proved to be the case in KDE - so
> we can relax ;-)

That has been the sweeping argument of your initial email, together with
the blank check you had for committing.

Everybody loves interoperability.

However, after reading the extensive comprehensible argumentation by
Alex, David and Kristoffer, and after actually playing around with
Konqueror and Dolphin, I must say that now I am against such a proposal.

The coding complexity for merging all the menus in a proper way is just
not worth the effort. Also, the template system of KDE does not seem to
integrate in a nice way: They don't even use OnlyShowIn, and have weird
non-standard URL references like

  URL=.source/DVDROM-Device.desktop

Besides, the UI of Dolphin and Konqueror randomly adds separators and
submenus to the UI which also do not seem to be specified anywhere in
the source template files.

Even if we agree on a common template system, I doubt that it's worth
to implement it in Nautilus/GNOME. I love how everybody cares about the
users, but for this use-case skeletons and symlinks are definitly
enough.

Sorry for all the noise and for the slalom - nobody is perfect :).

best regards,
 Christian Neumair

--
Christian Neumair <cneumair gnome org>