Re: Howto rename a file without...

I agree. This is what I wanted to say, but I didn't have time to do it.

Why remove a feature? What about us who want to use it? Right now only one side is satisfied.

In Windows this feature is available not just in Win Explorer but also in Win Media Player and other apps.

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Mark <markg85 gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue
> <gilles dartiguelongue esiee org> wrote:
>> Le lundi 18 août 2008 à 20:11 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
>>> So you remove all the ways to access some functionality, and then you
>>> complain that it is not accessible anymore ?
>>> Hmm...
>>>

>> All the current ways, yes. No menus, no context menus, no keyboard
>> shortcuts. Should that stop us from actually renaming a file ?
>>
>> If you think it's not worth the effort, just say so, no need for
>> sarcasm, thanks.
>
> Yeah, sorry.  I should have said that straight click-to-rename was
> intentionally removed from nautilus, since it is way too easy to
> trigger unintentionally.
>
> Maybe it would help if you could describe your use case in some more
> detail, so that we can come up with reasonable constructive answers.
>
> One thing to check out, eg, is the touchscreen-mode setting that GTK+
> already has some support for. Maybe nautilus should react to that and
> offer an alternative way to some functionality if it is turned on...
>
> Matthias
> --

Oh men that makes me sad..
So this feature was in but removed intentionally because it was way to
easy to unintentional trigger a rename...

Oke, a few things about that.
.1 Why remove the feature instead of adding a gconf key set by default
to disabled?
.2 Why is the user protected from that feature (by REMOVING it) if it
doesn't want the protection (like me)
.3 Is this a 1 person decision to remove it or was the majority of the
community in favor of removing it?

I really just don't understand some decisions made in the gnome past
(and present).
In my opinion you should never throw away a working feature! disable
it at the most but nothing worse then that.