Re: Behavior Trends in Nautilus and other Desktop Apps

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 01:08 -0500, Ben Liblit wrote:
> Karsten Br�elmann wrote:
> > Oh, I didn't expect you guys to actually have subscribed to the
> > [gnome-bugsquad] list, judging from the first post. I did, however,
> > hope it. :)

Hah, you did it again. :-)

I did *not* say bugsquad list (which I did not mention until close to
the end of the post), and I didn't mean to imply it either. I just said
"list", which in that context would be the current list we are having
this discussion on.  nautilus-list... :)

> When Jason and I looked at the <gnome-bugsquad> list archives, it seemed
> that discussion there mostly concerns Bugzilla administration and policy
> questions.  That's why we didn't send a copy of Jason's original message
> to that list.  If you think there are a fair number of people on that
> list who would be interested in what we're doing, though, we can
> certainly join the list and try to get some discussion going.  Do you
> think we should do that?

Maybe. Though it depends on your ultimate goals, I guess. For querying
bugzilla, the Bugmasters would be the right one to ask. However, no such
publicly accessibly list, IIRC.

Also, a lot of the development and internals are not discussed on
mailing lists, but IRC and even real life (GUADEC), since it is a rather
small core team...

Anyway, the bugsquad list probably is a good place to start and to get
in contact with them. I would suggest mentioning more technical details,
possibly ideas how to notify the relevant developers about your findings
and of course which findings and data exactly.

> > Anyway, I did NOT say what you quote out of context above.
>
> Ah, you are right.  I never intended to put words in your mouth, and I
> sincerely apologize for misrepresenting your comments.

No problem, dude, no offense taken.  I just meant to emphasis the fact I
did not say that...

> You are also right when you point out that bugginess is not the same as
> crashiness.  One bug can cause many failures, and one bug in a library
> (even a GTK+ theme) that Nautilus uses can cause Nautilus to fail
> through no fault of its own.  Our findings affirm that Nautilus 2.14 on
> Fedora Core 5 crashed often; they do not necessarily suggest that it had
> more bugs.
>
> I'll let Jason reply to some of the more technical points in your
> message, but I do want to emphasize that (1) we are not just looking at
> stacks, and (2) we do understand and exploit the distinction between
> bugs and failing runs.  CBI is very much about finding the root causes
> of the most common failures, with an explicit bias toward finding the
> few bugs that cause the most problems for the most people.

Another point I suggest to clearly express. The original post on this
list unfortunately lacked this information. Hence my discussion about
bug vs crash...

> Thanks for your feedback, and again I am sorry for misquoting you earlier.

And this time... ;-)

  guenther