Re: Almost a fix for bug 45436

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 14:25 +0100, Stefano Teso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I prepared a patch to fix GNOME love bug 45436 [1] ("update the
> statusbar with bookmark location when the mouse hovers the history
> sidebar"), except that it patches the places sidebar instead. (Ahem.)
>
> It has a couple of problems (I'm not sure if this is the right way to do
> it, and the patch makes in-place drag'n drop of bookmarks -- for manual
> sorting -- dog slow) so I didn't open a bug for it.

I think this is basically the approach it has to take. Although since
the listview already tracks motion events (and uses the
GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK optimization) maybe it could be done
slightly more efficient with some added GtkTreeView api.

However, the obvious way to make it more efficient is to avoid all that
work on each motion event. For *each* motion event you clear the status
message, get the new uri and then set the status message. Even if the
motion is on the same row. You need to short-circuit as soon as possible
for the case where it should just do nothing.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a genetically engineered ninja dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law.
She's an enchanted tomboy single mother who believes she is the reincarnation
of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!