Re: Re: right click association of gnuplot plot files

Thanks for the replies, but that doesn't solve it. I think I got a
working association, but still gnuplot will not start.

I think that the gnuplot executable is a different type of executable as
e.g. gedit. If I click on gedit a window will open (with no file to
edit).
If I click gnuplot - nothing happens. It seems that gnuplot will only
start in a terminal, although it opens a new (interactive window). But
gnuplot at same time also repsonds to commands typed in the terminal.

Maybe gnuplot cannot start directly from nautilus?

If yes, is there a kind of wrapper executable that could inteface
between Nautilus and gnuplot? Maybe nautilus-actions can do this trick?

Thanks for any help or comments.

Am Sonntag, den 04.03.2007, 02:15 +0100 schrieb Christian Kirbach:

> On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:36:00 +0100,
<nautilus 20 jacquesb spamgourmet com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a program for some mathematical calculations. I use gnuplot
> > plot the results.
>
> > How can I start gnuplot by clicking on a .plt file in the Nautilus
file
> > manger (Ubuntu)?

Create a .desktop file following
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/, register
the MIME type for .plt files in it (you probably first need to create an
entry in the shared-mime-info database for .plt files and run the
update-mime-database command) and add the necessary command. Then run
update-desktop-database. With the next start of nautilus, mark a .plt
file and get the Properties windows via right-click menu. There choose
"Open with" and choose the action you recently added. Then always a
simple click on this file will run gnuplot.
> > How to resolve this?
>
> You are probably looking for nautilus-actions
>   http://www.grumz.net/?q=taxonomy/term/2/9

Is there no implementation of the desktop-actions part of the
freedesktop.org desktop entry specification in nautilus? Is it planned
to support this?

Regards, Daniel