Re: Feature request for nautilus/desktop navigation

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 18:47 -0700, Cliff Wells wrote:

> Years ago, it was common for X applications to have a --use-root (or
> similar) option which allowed them to be displayed in the root window.
> If nautilus had such an option, then your idea would be suitable.

In fact, I believe there used to be a program that could force arbitrary
applications into the root window, but I don't recall its name (nor do I
know if it would still compile/run if I found it).

Anyway, thinking further about it, this might be a more appropriate
request for Beryl/Compiz/Metacity since the WM could force an
application to be decoration-less and use the root window.  Further,
this might be a useful feature for other apps besides Nautilus so such a
feature in the WM would be more generally useful.  I'll present that
idea on their forum.

Still, if Nautilus grew such a feature in the meantime I wouldn't
complain ;-)

Regards,
Cliff