Re: Re: Actions to take when copying/moving duplicate files

> > Hello,
> > yesterday I tried to copy a large directory - with nested sub-dirs -
over
> > another one, which contained files with the same names or even real
> > duplicates.
> > Sadly, I was remembered that Nautilus only supports the "overwrite all
or
> > cancel" option, which I find to be a little limitating. After a while,
in
> > fact, I had to resort to old Worker.
>
> We used to overwrite all, but these days we at least merge directories.

True. :) But I think it would be good to have a little more control over
what actions are taken over files with identical names.

> > Right now I'm trying to think about a way to make Nautilus' behaviour a
> > little more flexible, and maybe it could be this way: when Nautilus
finds
> > out that the destination file already exists, it prompts a window (which
> > could contain data about the source and dest files, such as
> > creation/modification date, size and, why not, a thumbnail, like I
suggested
> > in another post), with four areas of choice:
> > - skip (all, just the current directory, just this file);
> > - overwrite (all, just the current directory, just this file);
> > - auto-rename (appending a progressive suffix like .001 just before the
file
> > extension);
> > - cancel.
> > The choices could be made by means of combo boxes, so that space could
be
> > saved.
>
> Auto rename sounds like an interesting idea. This sounds like its gonna
> be a pretty daunting dialog though. Lots of information and choices.

Maybe, but the thumbnail part could be a matter of choice (a voice in
prefs?). In the lower part you could see just three combo boxes (skip,
overwrite, rename) and a button (cancel). The whole combo boxes idea could
be selectable in prefs ("advanced mode") so that novice users wouldn't get
scared by all the options.
I think it would be nice for all those directories full of images named
"001.jpg, 002.jpg" and so on (webmasters are creative sometimes) that cause
problems when you have to merge big directories with many sub-dirs like
these. Or maybe if you have many backups of your /home and want to archive
the most recent settings for some programs (e.g. Firefox or Opera with their
bookmarks) while keeping other sub-dirs in their original state, or renaming
the contents so that you have both versions.

 Sponsor:
 Stupisci i tuoi Amici con le Fantastiche Idee Regalo D-Mail !

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=5890&d=20070119