Re: Global Desktop Items: A proposal

Le mercredi 18 avril 2007 à 02:14 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta a écrit :
> Hi all,
> I am working on enhancing some of the "deployment friendly" stuff in
> GNOME as a part of my Google SoC, and one of the things I am working
> on is support for predefined global items on the desktop. To make my
> current goal clearer, here's a sample use case (stolen shamelessly
> from a doc by my mentor, Federico Mena Quintero).

> Comments/suggestions/brickbats would be highly appreciated :)

Well, you could use and/or integrate a patch we have been using in
Mandriva package for nautilus : for a very long time, we have been
putting merging dynamically .desktop from a system wide directory,
mostly for hot pluggable devices, like webcam, to put a launcher for
ekiga (this is an example).

Patch for this is available at

it is using symlink to be able to handle files disappearing when
nautilus is not running but anyway, it could be used as a basis or
anything for your work.

Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>