Re: Logging user actions

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 20:42 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> I meant to say that customers are of course sending in bug reports for
> Nautilus, with crashes that are really hard to reproduce.  And they of
> course never quite know what they did to trigger the crash.
>
> I've started writing a little logging mechanism for Nautilus, based on
> the ideas in this nice and short paper:
> 	http://visibleworkings.com/trace/Documentation/ring-buffer.pdf
>
> [The patch is attached]
>
> The idea is that you log stuff (like user actions) to a ring buffer.
> The user then has a way to dump the log to a file when he notices
> something wrong, or the log can also be dumped automatically when the
> program detects an error.
>
> So, I have started instrumenting Nautilus with several logging points:
>
> - windows are created
> - a window changes location
> - a window changes its view
> - a file gets activated
> - etc.
>
> The idea is to have better info about how to reproduce bugs.  While
> right now I'm only logging user actions, this is extensible to logging
> internal actions as well.

Sounds interesting. Maybe we could somehow get bug buddy to trigger a
log when nautilus crashes too?

Personally I'm not totally sure logging highlevel operations are helpful
for many bugs, but having more information is never bad.

> And in the medium-term future, I intend to use this logged info to
> analyze how users browse their file systems.  We may be able to extract
> nice usability data out of it.

This requires some sort of auto-sending of logs which has privacy
issues. That doesn't mean its a bad idea though. I really would like
some information like that. Maybe someone could write an app that uses
the a11y framework to gather similar stats for the whole desktop.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a jaded amnesiac stage actor who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
cold-hearted nymphomaniac vampire living on borrowed time. They fight crime!