Re: Proposal for making Nautilus more accessible, usable and easy to general users with beautification

On 10/18/06, Ravi Kumar <ra21vi gmail com> wrote:

On 10/18/06, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com > wrote:
"I've always missed a "lock item" option in desktop icons, because there are some important folders that I like having on the left, and if they could be locked I could rearrange the rest by name without these changing places. "

Ok, i have taken your request in my record.. still i m looking forward for more cooperations...
thanks for your sugestions... its the first one i got in reply...
hey where is other ppl doing ?
spread, and
support
--
-=Ravi=-

I always feel, if Nautilus operates at blazing speed... This is really critical point for analysis.
 i have found something which makes it drastically slow to navigate directories....
Try to open /usr/bin (this directory/folder contains a lot binaries and symlinks/links to other places... vary from 1500 to whatever, it depends on how much apps and packages you have installed on ur sytem)
When opening /usr/bin , it takes considerably long time... why? I found to minimize that time with just a little rise in performance) by editing /etc/hdparm to have io32and input/output access to disk at the same time... also enabling write cache improves a little... but still its considerably slow.. why?

Maybe, nautilus does collect all files information along with its name, and the assigning the icons to them... finding the type of files in the directory by looking at  the content and then analyzing it takes a lot computations and comparations.
How to make it fast process:
1. When a directory is opened, nautilus starts filling the filenames in an empty table.. and its filetype in another column, and some attributes exended, at if its symlink etc...
2. then nautilus show those files name and icons in the content space of nautilus window...
3. Another thread then looks at the table data, and starts  filling other info, like size and modification date, users etc... whatever attributes is checkd by user in nautilus preferences....

The initial sequencing of nautilus files in window can show the "unknown files" icon to everyfile, irrespective of the filetype....
and then it starts finding them from the start of table...
The data in table would be arranged in the order the user have selected.. it cannt be always alphabetical only.... it can be by filetypes etc...

--------
I m looking for u ppls suggestions...
And doing more analysis on this topic... I will come with better idea in sometime :)
JUST SUPPORT ME ... by giving back ur replies
--------

--
-=Ravi=-