Re: #96239 Implementing a "Column view"

On Nov 22, 2006, at 6:48 AM, Gene Ragan wrote:
The first thing I would mention, is that column view is non-trivial and has many, many subtle behaviors. Some of these behaviors are still far from perfect and some are down right annoying. Column view does not mesh well with the concept of spatial browsing. Finder users often find themselves in mental conflict with which view settings should be applicable when spawning windows out of column view.

Most prominently, the appropriate default window size is wider for column view than it is for spatial mode.

It is vital that you have a complete specification for how a column view would work. If you just want to model it after Apple's, you probably won't find all the edge cases and specialized behaviors that are coded into Apple's version.

I'd be glad to help write such a specification on live.gnome.org. I like thinking of edge cases. :-)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/