Re: nautilus sends me back to my homedir

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 20:35 +0100, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 07:32 +0100, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> > > (reposted, I sent it yesterday but I never saw it in my inbox)
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I googled for an equivalent problem and solution but couldn't find one.
> > >
> > > I have an nfs server exporting homedirs with autofs+ldap. It works
> > > great. It also exports other folders. With the homedirs there is no
> > > problem at all, but with the other nfs shares I get this weird
> > > behaviour. After 1 minute (approx) nautilus takes me back to my
> > > homedir. This can be quite irritating (I am already getting complaints
> > > here from users).
> >
> > It looks like autofs is umounting your other dirs after 1 minute
> > (Nautilus doesn't "lock" the directory on purpose, otherwise you wouln't
> > be able to eject removable drives when they have an opened window on
> > them). Maybe just put a longer timeout.
>
> strange. The timeout was indeed 1 minute, but I had never seen this
> behaviour before with 2.14 or with konqueror. The homedirs had also
> the same timeout and those do not experience the same symptons. It
> seems to work though. Thanks.

Things (like cwd) normally keep files open on the homedir, protecting
against an unmount. Nautilus doesn't, so that you can unmount e.g.
removable media.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish vegetarian gangster who dotes on his loving old ma. She's a
disco-crazy snooty journalist who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!