Folder icons

Hi,

I like being able to give folders icons in Nautilus but the "metadata"
method is not much use because it is difficult to copy with the folder
if I don't use Nautilus to copy it.

I'd like to be able to stick a file, say ".nautilus-folder-icon" in the
directory to set a default icon, obviously this would be overridden by
any metadata icon set. In fact, the name of the file could be set in
gconf and this could turn the option on.

I assume this wouldn't be too hard to do, I'd like to have a go myself
but would appreciate a few hints from someone who knows where to look in
the code.

Thanks,

James