Re: New GBookmarkFile API in GLib 2.12

Hi;

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 22:19 +0200, nf2 wrote:

> > In order to avoid breakage, and to follow the spec[1], the bookmarks
> > file should have the .xbel extension; the spec itself proposes to use
> > the $HOME/.shortcuts.xbel file for storing the file selectors shortcuts.

Mmh,forgot to link the spec:

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dbookmark_2dspec

> Just some thoughts on filechooser bookmarks, VFS etc...
>
> 1) Shouldn't there be one file per bookmark instead of a single file for
> all of them? With a single file there might be a chance of loosing data
> when two applications try to edit the bookmark list at the same time.

While with reading a ton of files you'll get a performance hit for all
the files you have to read on disk.

One-bookmark-per-file was an explored layout and it was discarded for
this very reason.

> 2) Why not use a simpler format than .xbel for filechooser bookmarks,
> desktop-entry files for instance?

Because XBEL supports opaque meta-data, it's already used in various
projects (Epiphany, Galeon, KDE, the GTK recent files implementation,
etc.).

I'd like you to read the thread on xdg-list, so that I don't have to
repeat the design decisions made one year ago once again:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg-list/2005-May/006862.html

> 3) Filechooser bookmarks should be shared between KDE and Gnome.

Exactly for this reason XBEL was the storage protocol that was choosen.

> 4) What about other VFS settings like the list of "connected servers"
> ("remote places" in KIO). Could they also be stored as .xbel bookmarks
> or desktop-entry files instead of using GConf.

Sure, the desktop bookmarks spec was created to store this kind of
locations, as long as they have a MIME type and a valid URI.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com