Re: New GBookmarkFile API in GLib 2.12

nf2 wrote:
Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 17:17 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested by porting the nautilus_bookmark_* API to the new
g_bookmark_file API from GLib 2.12. But I have some questions:

- Is it ok if nautilus 2.15 depends on glib 2.12 or should it wait for
nautilus 2.17 ?

- Where should the bookmark file be saved ? Maybe we should discuss this
with Gtk guys because it should be user by GtkFileChooser too. Now the
file is ~/.gtk-bookmark
In order to avoid breakage, and to follow the spec[1], the bookmarks
file should have the .xbel extension; the spec itself proposes to use
the $HOME/.shortcuts.xbel file for storing the file selectors shortcuts.
Just some thoughts on filechooser bookmarks, VFS etc...

1) Shouldn't there be one file per bookmark instead of a single file for all of them? With a single file there might be a chance of loosing data when two applications try to edit the bookmark list at the same time.

2) Why not use a simpler format than .xbel for filechooser bookmarks, desktop-entry files for instance?

3) Filechooser bookmarks should be shared between KDE and Gnome.

4) What about other VFS settings like the list of "connected servers" ("remote places" in KIO). Could they also be stored as .xbel bookmarks or desktop-entry files instead of using GConf.

5) Perhaps there should be a standard place to store everyhing VFS related. I believe the GConf / KConfig dependencies of Gnome-VFS and KIO should be removed.

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/desktop-vfs/bookmarks/
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/desktop-vfs/recent-files/
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/desktop-vfs/remote-places/
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/desktop-vfs/conf/

Sorry,

$XDG_DATA_HOME/desktop-vfs/bookmarks/
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/desktop-vfs/recent-files/
$XDG_DATA_HOME/desktop-vfs/remote-places/
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/desktop-vfs/conf/

...looks better, of course.
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

The "conf" directory could be used to store VFS configuration like proxy settings, smb workgroup etc using .ini style files...

regards,
Norbert