Re: two-panel nautilus view

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 13:05 +0100, Peter Lundqvist wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 22:24 +0100, Oliver Tobin wrote:
> >> while using nautilus, i had the idea that a two-panel-view is useful for
> >> copying or moving files and other things like this.
> [snip]
>
> > I think the same functionality can be achieved just fine by opening two
> > separate Nautilus windows or..?

It could, but one window can hide the other, which would not happen with
tabs.

I think the great advantage of tabs is to better organize windows, which
can be grouped by theme to reduce clutter (as in epiphany for example).
I think it is way better to have tabs than to group window list buttons
(the titles of the tabs are not hidden). I am a great fan of tabs
anyhow, and would love to see them in Nautilus. You could then have
bookmark folders, and permit opening a folder as a set of tabs, as in
firefox. If you want a usage example, you could open with one click tabs
containing website source, a testing server directory and a production
server FTP.

I would prefer tabs over split screen, you can have many tabs, but a
split screen would get rather squished with more than a few splits. I
can't see many usage scenarios where you have to see the contents of two
folders simultaneously (at least I cannot remember ever having to place
two nautilus windows side to side).

> There even is a gnome gnome application[*] that does this (albeit not
> maintained). Having this functionality in nautilus might be a good thing,
> but a standalone app would is good enough.
>
> * http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/

There is another little GTK+ file manager http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/ that uses tabs.

Love, Karderio