Re: Patch to fix #321819

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 15:59 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 12:17 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 16:58 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > The emblem size choosing logic in Nautilus is rather problematic at the
> > > moment, allowing the smallest size of the emblem to be the same size as
> > > the icon itself, that the emblem is being attached to. The attached
> > > patch fixes this by using a minimum size of half the icon size, for the
> > > emblem size, allowing more appropriately sized icons to be used, and
> > > allowing theme authors to put correctly sized icons in their themes'
> > > emblems directories, rather than having to kluge around having icons
> > > that are actually smaller than the theme says they are.
> > >
> > > Can I please get this committed for 2.16? Thanks.
> >
> > I'm not sure the icon theme spec ever said that the icons have to be
> > exactly the size the directory specified. They just were designed for
> > that size. Thats how the emblems in nautilus always worked, instead of
> > deciding a specific size for the emblems they were designed for a
> > particular target size.
>
> The specification implies it, whethere it specifically states it or not.
> If this is a matter of confusion, we should fix the spec to clearly
> state that the size of the icons in a directory, must match the size
> which is specified for that directory. That is in fact what the point of
> the Size= in index.theme is for, I presume. And yes, nautilus has always
> been broken in wanting emblem icons to be drawn the way they have been
> in the past. The current situation is much worse than it seems at first.
> A number of themes have icons at fairly arbitrary sizes inside the
> emblems directory for a particular size of icons. Nowhere currently is
> there a specification of how to manage the emblems directory. It seems
> like an appropriate time to improve this situation, by fixing the emblem
> lookup code in nautilus, and standardizing how things work for emblems,
> more appropriately to match the rest of the theme. Especially if we ever
> want other desktops to adopt the emblem methodology.

I don't see why we have to change the nautilus lookup code just because
some icon themese are broken. They will continue to be broken after we
change it. Isn't it better to fix these themese instead (and perhaps
write some docs for how it works). For all the time that nautilus has
supported themed emblems they have worked the same way, emblems for
icons of a particular size go into a directory with the same base size
as the icon. We also handle resizing fine all over the nautilus code by
resizing an icon based on the base size of the icon directory, not the
actual size of the icon.

Not only is this how things currently work. I also think its a much
better way whan just picking an abitrary size for the emblems (like 50%
of the icon size in your patch). It means the various emblems can differ
in sizes as needed for a specific icon size.

Also, this isn't the only icon that isn't the same size as the directory
base size. The same happens with process-working/gnome-spinner. Neither
of these are gonna cause problems, because only emblem using apps (at
this time, only nautilus) will ever read the emblems, and only spinner
apps the spinner icon.

> > Even if we want to change this I'm not sure the best time to do so is
> > when we're hard code frozen. Won't this break every currently working
> > themed emblem?
>
> According to http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointFifteen the hard code freeze
> is not until next Monday, August 28. I wouldn't say that the change will
> break every currently working theme. It will cause emblem icons to be
> rendered smaller, though.

Still, its kind of late to do a change that requires all icon themes to
change unless they want to look quite broken.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a superhumanly strong umbrella-wielding firefighter with a winning smile
and a way with the ladies. She's a scantily clad Buddhist pearl diver married
to the Mob. They fight crime!