Re: Patch to fix #321819

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 12:17 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 16:58 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > The emblem size choosing logic in Nautilus is rather problematic at the
> > moment, allowing the smallest size of the emblem to be the same size as
> > the icon itself, that the emblem is being attached to. The attached
> > patch fixes this by using a minimum size of half the icon size, for the
> > emblem size, allowing more appropriately sized icons to be used, and
> > allowing theme authors to put correctly sized icons in their themes'
> > emblems directories, rather than having to kluge around having icons
> > that are actually smaller than the theme says they are.
> >
> > Can I please get this committed for 2.16? Thanks.
>
> I'm not sure the icon theme spec ever said that the icons have to be
> exactly the size the directory specified. They just were designed for
> that size. Thats how the emblems in nautilus always worked, instead of
> deciding a specific size for the emblems they were designed for a
> particular target size.

The specification implies it, whethere it specifically states it or not.
If this is a matter of confusion, we should fix the spec to clearly
state that the size of the icons in a directory, must match the size
which is specified for that directory. That is in fact what the point of
the Size= in index.theme is for, I presume. And yes, nautilus has always
been broken in wanting emblem icons to be drawn the way they have been
in the past. The current situation is much worse than it seems at first.
A number of themes have icons at fairly arbitrary sizes inside the
emblems directory for a particular size of icons. Nowhere currently is
there a specification of how to manage the emblems directory. It seems
like an appropriate time to improve this situation, by fixing the emblem
lookup code in nautilus, and standardizing how things work for emblems,
more appropriately to match the rest of the theme. Especially if we ever
want other desktops to adopt the emblem methodology.

> Even if we want to change this I'm not sure the best time to do so is
> when we're hard code frozen. Won't this break every currently working
> themed emblem?

According to http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointFifteen the hard code freeze
is not until next Monday, August 28. I wouldn't say that the change will
break every currently working theme. It will cause emblem icons to be
rendered smaller, though.

-- dobey