Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 07:31 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 9/1/05, Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk> wrote:
> > Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > > please don't use MySQL directly! First, you will impose users to install
> > > and configure a DB server, which might not be possible in all cases.
> >
> > the *embedded* version of mysql is just a shared object - you dont need
> > to install the full mysql to get it. RPMs for the *embedded* version are
> > on mysql's website. The *embedded* mysql is the same as sqlite in that
> > regard.
>
> I presume that ny metadata system really should be part of the
> platform so that other apps can access it; that would rule out mysql
> on licensing concerns.

right, mysql is GPL, so can't really link to it from LGPL code.

In gnome-db (and other projects) we asked for a special treatment so
that we could link against their GPL libs from our LGPL ones, but with
no answer so far AFAIK from them.

So, again, for embedded dbs', use SQLite, and, if you use libgda, you
allow admins to set up the database on a different server, like
PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>