Re: Progress dialogs patch

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:40:38 +0200, Martin Wehner
<martin wehner gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 17:47 +0200, Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> > of course we need the progresse dialog, but we don't need to have it
> > in front of us all the time, that's why a little icon in a tray call
> > allow us to see the current actions in progress by cliking on it (a
> > bit like the progress dialog in firefox)
>
> Yeah, the progress dialog should be minimizable in the first place :)
> I'm suprised nobody brought this up yet.
> An option to minimize the progress into a panel progress applet would be
> sweet too, but I for one rarely have more than one transfer going.

As far as i remenber, the mail app in mac os x use something a bit similar.
And i think that evolution would also benefit from a progress bar that
doesn't ofusc reading the mail. that's really not great to have this
pop up with progress bar (sending/receiving) in from of you when you'd
prefer to be able to read your mails.

I think that this concept of progress bar not staying in the middle of
the screen should be applyed to all task that don't need the
completion of the progress bar before the user can work again.

For example you don't need to have recieve all your mail, to start reading
you don't need to have wait for your trash bin emptying until you can
do something else.

Somehow this kind pop up appearing and staying in the middle of the
screen is a bit against the notion of "multitasking", because most
people wait for his completion before doing something else!

--
Sebastien Estienne